As a mum, makeup artist, and PIXI creator, my life is bursting at the seams with inspirations & impressions. I live my life by the motto “live love & laugh” and whether I am working or focusing on my family, I try to infuse passion and creativity into everything I do. Here I hope to share with you some of my ideas of all things beautiful.
With love, Petra


Monday, October 8, 2012

Behind the Scenes October 2012

Today I wanted to take you behind the scenes at a beauty shoot!





Our makeup table! The first thing we do when we get to the studio is to set up our table the way we want it for the day.

We bring EVERYTHING, and then I end up using about 8 products - but you never know what you will need!…I could probably get away with using 4 products and no brushes only my fingers if I had to :)



The next thing to do is to start prepping the model once she arrives. Today we're doing a "before" shot and then the main shot, so I need at least 1 hour for makeup.

I’m working fast on our model's face – its 8:30 and we have a tight time schedule and lots to achieve - I want to make sure we have plenty of time for hair, nails and for the photographer to get the perfect shot!



Hair maestro in action!

After makeup, we do the hair. Great hair styling is key – it's part of the overall mood and feel. Today I want un-done hair, like she did it herself; a bit tousled, with a bit of wind. The hair needs to be totally done to look un-done!




The set – I need to check the lighting, since makeup looks very different depending on the amount & location of the light. We are going for a very fresh, daylight feel for this shoot.

Above is my lovely makeup assistant Kotoe doing her best model look!


 

On every beauty shoot there is a manicurist. As my hand will be in a shot applying makeup, I'm getting treated to a super manicure today!

Sneak peek! Above, the manicurist is applying one of our spring colours on me, Mother of Pearl - it's a gold-pink glowy daytime shade. Very fresh and pretty!

 

Everybody on the shoot got a lovely water bottle from Target on the shoot! It's a great reminder to stay hydrated during a busy day - and re-usable & very environmentally friendly, which we LOVE!


Superstar photographer in action.

What a great crew - everybody focused on getting the best result - believe it or not, it takes about 15 people to make the magic happen! 





Once we start shooting, there are 3 things needed to touch up:
  1. Pixi Flawless Finishing Powder
  2. Pixi Ultimate Beauty Kit
  3. Makeup wipes

Fall 2012 Look

 

The face chart above shows what I was looking to create for Fall 2012 - sophisticated & clean, but still soft & feminine. We used the products pictured below to execute the look.



Here's the final look - the ad is out in magazines now, including this month's Allure! Read on below for how to create the look yourself...



HOW TO:
  1. Even out skintone and create velvety skin. We used Pixi Flawless Beauty Primer and Pixi Flawless Beauty Fluid.
  2. Apply a light nude eye shadow from lashes to brow & a slightly darker one in crease. We used Pixi Shade Quartette in Shades of Nude.
  3. Line eyes with liquid liner and flick up & out to create a cat eye. We used Pixi Lash Line Ink.
  4. Curl lashes and apply several coats of volumizing mascara. We used Pixi Large Lash Mascara.
  5. Buff a nude blusher onto cheekbones. We used Pixi Beauty Blush in Healthiest Honey.
  6. Frame eyes by shaping brows - keep it light and natural. We used Pixi Natural Brow Duo.
  7. Smooth on a nude lip balm. We used Pixi Succulent Lip Twin in Opal Orchid. 
Done!


I have the BEST job! At Pixi we always work hard – but we play hard too. You have to love what you do and have fun at work!

The best work advice I ever got was: "to be really good at something you have to be passionate about it." Sooooo true – that made it pretty clear for me: MAKEUP is what I want to work with!

PS This was a very serious game of ping-pong Japan against Sweden...unfortunately for me, Japan won!


Here's me testing the lighting on the shoot :) - this will give you a clue of what colour will be our favorite next Spring!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are enjoying your job and passionate about it! the nail color looks so cute! when will it be out in store? K

    ReplyDelete